May 25, 2016

Flax Bran Muffins



This is the most frequently made muffin in my house.  I love it.  I've always loved bran muffins but the the grocery store kind tend to be full of fat, so I was on a mission to find a healthier version.  I found it.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it's full of flavor, dense and moist and yet very healthy.  You can change up some of the flavors if you want, to suit your own personal taste preferences. I've discovered that adding orange flavors (thank you Emily) brings this muffin over the top for me.

This recipe is easy to throw together in a big mixing bowl and stir together, no need to dirty up your stand mixer.  I refrigerate mine so they'll last longer, just pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds to have a nice warm muffin.


Just look at all the carrot pieces and raisins. So good and good for you.  I never get sick of this one for breakfast or snacking. 

For you Weight Watchers members, this is 4 SmartPoints per muffin. 
Flax Bran Muffins
Recipe from Foodista


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup unbleached white all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 3/4 cup oat bran or wheat bran
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup carrots, grated
  • 1 large apple, grated
  • 1/2 cup raisins (or any dried fruit)
  • 3/4 cup milk (I use orange juice sometimes)
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (if you have orange extract it's yummy here)
  • I also add orange zest if I have any oranges around. 
Cooking Directions
  1. Line or spray a 12 cup muffin pan or line with cupcake liners (this recipe makes 15 muffins)
  2. Preheat the oven to 350º
  3. In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, add the first 10 ingredients and stir together.
  4. In a small bowl add the milk, eggs, and vanilla together. Beat the eggs prior to adding.
  5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir just until combined.
  6. Fill the muffin cups to the top and bake for 15-20 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness.

No comments: