Sorry for the lousy picture...
This bread is pretty darn good, and I wanted to get it posted ASAP. Now, before you run off all excited about a healthy version of banana bread, keep this in mind. It's HEALTHY, so it's not going to taste like your favorite sour cream banana bread, or some of the other sugar laden banana breads you might be used to. However, you can feel good about eating this one.
The banana flavor isn't extremely strong, but it's prominent enough that you know you're eating bananas. It's moist (sorry to those of you who hate that word), dense and wonderful. After years of eating the other not-so-healthy varieties, I was surprised at what a nice change it was to eat something that wasn't super sweet. I really enjoyed this bread, I even toasted it and smeared peanut butter over it for a change up (yummy).
I hope you'll give this one a try. It's good to try new things and this one is even good for you.
Applesauce Honey Banana Bread
Recipe from Just A Pinch by Linda Bailey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the applesauce and honey, mix to combine.
- Add the beaten eggs and banana's and mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick.