June 14, 2016

Baja Shrimp Taco


This is one meal that I fell in love with.  It's not overly spicy but just enough to give you a slight heat and tons of flavor. This is also one of those meals I need to cook for myself.  My husband is from New England and yet isn't much of a seafood eater.  Isn't that strange? Maybe not, but I guess I always assumed that people who lived near seafood should like it. I guess that's not always the case.  Although I grew up in beef cattle country and beef is one of my favorites....who knows.

Anyway, This meal does take some preparation because of the breading and frying of the shrimp but other than that it's totally easy.  And, leftovers are delicious. I think that they fish fry breading has a lot of flavor anyway but when you combine it with that spicy ranch it really takes it over the top.

I enjoyed this recipe tremendously.  I got it from my local grocery store (Publix), they have a section called Apron's where they let you sample a meal idea and if you decide to try it they have all of the needed ingredients right there waiting for you, so you don't have to wonder all over the store trying to find stuff.  Great concept and obviously it worked!

Baja Shrimp Tacos


Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
  • 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 2 limes (tested and juiced)
  • 2 cups shredded three-color coleslaw mix
  • 3 Tbsp spicy ranch dressing
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (thawed if frozen) Medium size should work
  • 1/2 cup fish fry mix
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 8 small flour tortilla's
  • 1 avocado, sliced
Cooking Directions
  1. In a small bowl add the chopped fresh cilantro, mayonnaise and 1 tsp of lime zest, 2 Tbsp lime juice, whisk until smooth. Add the slaw, stir and set aside.
  2. Coat the shrimp in the ranch dressing, then coat in the fish fry mix.
  3. Add the oil to a pan and heat on med-high. Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until shrimp are opaque and coating is golden. Drain on paper towels.
  4. To build a burrito add the slaw to the bottom, then a couple of thin sliced avocado and then shrimp. Roll up and enjoy.

No comments: