June 29, 2016

Peach Blueberry Pie


It's peach season in the South so naturally we've been eating all we can.  I love to can peaches but haven't had time this year, so we've just been eating them fresh.  However, to change things up a bit I decided to try a pie.  Blueberries are my husbands favorite so when I saw this recipe I thought it was perfect.  Also, I had a handful of raspberries in my refrigerator so I threw those in too.

I loved the flavor of this pie.  Sweet and interesting because of the multiple fruit flavors.  The mixture is perfect and held up very well when sliced and served up. Perfect with some ice cream or whipped cream.

I just used a store bought crust which is not what I normally do, but it was still delicious.  If you make a homemade crust it'll be the hit of dessert!  I hope you can try this one this summer with some of your local peaches.

Peach Blueberry Pie
Recipe from Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground allspice
  • 3 cups peaches, sliced and peeled
  • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
  • pastry for double crust 9 inch pie
  • 1 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
  • 1 Tbsp milk
  • cinnamon sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400º
  2. Make the pie crust and put it in the pie plate (or use pre-made)
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and allspice and whisk. Add the fruit and stir to coat.
  4. You can either top the pie with a full pie crust and cut to ventilate or create a lattice top.
  5. After you've added the top crust, cut off the excess crust around the edges leaving about 1/2 an inch overhand so you can tuck it under the bottom crust and seal with your fingers or a fork.
  6. Use a brush to spread milk over the top and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
  7. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden. Let cool slightly before serving.

No comments: