August 31, 2016

Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather


It's finally apple season, my favorite time of the year is beginning.  I love fall.  I love everything about it. I especially love apple season. My biggest problem is that I go to the mountains and I pick a bunch, and then I'm having so much fun that I pick more.  So I end up with a ton of apples and I come home and bake, bake, bake. 

So, here is one thing I've made recently that I absolutely fell in love with.  Fruit leather.  You know, like the kind you had as a kid in your lunch box. It does take a little time but it's well worth it. The process it totally easy and if you can be patient you will be rewarded.  This fruit leather was so good. The same texture that you might be used to from the box we had as kids, but the flavor was so much better.  Mine didn't even make it off the try to be cut and wrapped and saved for later.  It was gone in like 10 minutes. 

Time to make more. 

Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather
Recipe from Real Mom Nutrition


Ingredients
  • 4 cups apples, washed, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1-2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Cooking Directions
  1. Put the prepared apples into a medium sized sauce pan and add the water. Cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes or until soft.
  2. Add the cinnamon and sugar and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Stirring occasionally.
  3. Pour mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.
  4. Pour onto a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides that has a silpat over it. It is vital that you get the mixture in a thin even layer on the pan. This will ensure it all dry's evenly.
  5. Bake at 170º for 2-3 hours or until dry.

No comments: