September 13, 2011

Black Magic Cake


This recipe claims to be the "Best Chocolate Cake Ever"!  I'm not even sure if I'd be able to identify the best chocolate cake ever because my tastes change depending on my mood.  However, I will say that this is an amazing cake. I think the frosting was good but more middle of the road, but the cake was moist and chocolaty and delicious!  Definitely a keeper in my recipe book.


Easy to put together.  I was happy that the addition of coffee didn't come through in the taste of the cake since I'm not a coffee drinker. There was also buttermilk added which is a different ingredient than most of other chocolate cake recipes but I think it was yummy.



The frosting was good also, I think I can find a different frosting for the next time I make this as the recipe provided was just enough for the cake.  I wished I had more for the middle. :) I likey frosting.

I found the recipe on the "Just a Pinch" site here

Cake
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c strong black coffee, cooled
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Frosting
1/2 c margarine, softened
2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate, cooled
3 c powdered sugar
3 Tbsp milk
2 tsp real vanilla extract

In the bowl of your stand mixer; combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In a medium sized bowl combine the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.  Mix well and then incorporate into the dry ingredients.  Mix for two minutes.  Mixture will be thin.
Grease and flour a 9x13 in pan OR two 9 inch round pans.  Pour the batter in the desired pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes for a 9x13, or 30-35 minutes for layer pans.

Cool the cakes completely before frosting them. I think this would be plenty of frosting for the 9x13 inch pan but if you're doing two 9 inch pans you might want to double it knowing you'd have some extra.

No comments: