February 8, 2012

Meyer Lemon Curd


Lemon Curd, what is it and what do you use it for? I'll explain. It's a condiment that you can use to fill cupcakes or spread on toast or even use in ice cream or other recipes.  It's sort of thick like a pudding.  It's delicious but I have never actually made any before.  Fast forward to me buying Meyer Lemons and looking for the perfect recipe's to try and you'll find me making Lemon Curd.

The process wasn't difficult and aside from my lemon curd not getting quite as thick as I'd have liked it (I blame the fact that I don't own an instant read thermometer) it's delicious and I plan to fill some cupcakes with it soon.

 


Recipe found at "Tracey's Culinary Adventures" here
Meyer Lemon Curd

1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice (from about 4 Meyer lemons)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces

*As noted on Tracey's website - you can also use regular lemons, just increase the amount of sugar to 3/4 cup.*

In a medium heat proof bowl combine the juice, zest, sugar and eggs.  Whisk together.  Place the bowl over a saucepan with a small amount of water in it (to create a double boiler) and heat the water to a simmer.  Add the butter and whisk until the lemon curd has thickened and has reached 160 degrees. 
Strain through a fine mesh sieve and let cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Curd will keep for a week in the refrigerator.





No comments: