September 6, 2011

Old Fashioned Fig Bars


I have to be honest.  I'm a sucker for recipes that say they're "old fashioned", I just can't help myself.  I feel like I'm going to like it more if it tastes anything like my gramma used to make.  Most of the time it's true too.  I found some fresh figs at Trader Joes the other day and decided to give them a try.  I've never actually bought fresh figs before so this was a new one for me.  Turns out there are some mighty tasty options out there but the word "old fashioned" got me hooked on this one.


Look at all that beautiful color!


OK, take some of these beauties and dice them up.





Put them into a large pot with the lemon juice and sugar and cook over medium heat until they've reduced to about 2 cups.

Remove from the heat and let cool.



In a large bowl combine the sugar and butter and cream together. In another bowl add the other dry ingredients except the oats.

Add the dry ingredients to the sugar/butter mixture and mix to combine; now stir in the oats.
Take half the mixture and press it into a 9x13 inch pan.



Spread the fig mixture on top of the oat mixture.



Spread the other half of the oat mixture over the top and press down lightly.  Bake at 400 for about 20 - 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 



Let cool before cutting.  The top and bottom crust gives a wonderful texture to the sweet center.  I brought the rest of these to work with me and they were a big hit!

I found this recipe from JustaPinch

Fig Center
2 lb figs (3c) fully ripe - cut into pieces
2 Tbsp lemon juice concentrate
1/2 c sugar

Crust and top
3/4 c butter softened
1 c brown sugar, lightly packed
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c oats
1/4 c coconut (optional)


Combine the figs, lemon and sugar in a large pot and cook over medium heat until they've reduced to about 2 Cups. Take off the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Pre-heat the oven to 400.

Mix the butter and sugar together in the bowl of your stand mixer.  In a separate bowl add the flour, baking soda and salt.

In another bowl combine the oats and coconut (if you're using it).

Slowly add the flour mix into the butter/sugar mixture and mix until combined.  Stir in the oats (and coconut) by hand.  Take half of this oat mixture and press it into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.  Spread the fig mixture over the top and then top with the remaining oat mixture.  Press down slightly.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Cool completely before cutting.

No comments: