November 9, 2011

Fudgy Cocoa Drops


I got a new "Taste of Home" Cookies collectors cookbook.  You know the one's I'm talking about right? They look like a magazine but they are FULL of recipes with a picture of each recipe and there aren't any advertisements in them? You see them at the checkout stand?  I'm addicted. I seriously can't help myself. 

Anyway, I've got just about every page marked with something I want to make.  I handed the book to my 3 year old and said "pick a cookie you want me to make"; and she picked these.  She likes chocolate.  She comes by it honestly.



I was really glad for the opportunity to make this cookie because it was sort of unusual with of the addition of ground almonds.  I just took my food chopper to some whole almonds and chopped them really finely.



I love the crinkle tops and the flecks of almonds.  The original recipe didn't show as many flecks of almonds as mine does but I like it.



These are crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.  Full of chocolate flavor and the little bite of almond every so often is a nice change.  I also liked that the recipe only made a dozen.  At least I don't have to wait very long before trying some of the other recipes. :)  This one's a keeper!

Recipe from "Taste of Home" Cookies magazine.  By Jill Duncan, Schriever, Louisiana.

1/4 butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 1/2 tsp 2% milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp ground almonds

Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix well.

In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients except for the almonds.  Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the almonds and refrigerate for 10 minutes while your oven heats.

Heat your oven to 350.

Make 12 even balls with the dough and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. I used parchment paper on mine. Bake for 13-18 minutes (mine took 13 minutes) or until the tops are cracked and set. 

Cool for two minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.

No comments: