November 3, 2011

Gorgonzola and Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese




Gorgonzola and Cheddar make a surprisingly great combination.  I made this on my stove top but you could certainly make yours a baked version.

If you ask my daughter what she wants for dinner she'll almost always say "macaroni and cheese".  She has inherited my love for it. I need a lot of variety in my life and even though I love macaroni and cheese I do need variation; so for my kiddo I made hers plain just like she likes it but I added Gorgonzola to mine.  Yum!  Such a nice combination with the sharp cheddar, this is such a winner if you're a blue cheese fan.


Here's what I did, this was perfect for about 4 servings.

Half a pound of elbow macaroni
1/4 butter
1/4 all purpose flour
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
dash of nutmeg (you don't need very much)
salt and pepper to taste (I used white pepper)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (loosely packed)
1/4 sour cream
1/4 crumbled Gorgonzola

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and then add salt liberally.  Add the pasta and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes.

In another large saucepan melt the butter over medium low heat.  Once melted add the flour and whisk for a minute until smooth.  Pour in the milk and whisk until it becomes thick.  Once thick, turn off the heat and add the cheddar cheese and the sour cream.  Whisk until smooth. 

When the pasta is cooked, drain it and then add it to the cheese sauce.  Mix well to combine - add salt and pepper to taste.  Remove the macaroni and cheese for the kids at this point and then for the adults mix in the Gorgonzola and serve immediately.  It's best if there are chunks of Gorgonzola to bite into. I sprinkled some additional Gorgonzola on top right before serving but that is optional of course.



No comments: