November 16, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies



I realized something about myself while make these cookies.  I don't have any patience.  I need to work on that. Luckily my daughter helped me make them and decorate them.  I feel like she and I have equal decorating skills.

The good news is; these are excellent.  I like soft and chewy cookies and these fit the bill.  I tested several different thicknesses and I think the 1/4 inch thickness is perfect. You certainly don't have to get your decorator's tip out just because you make these ginger bread cookies.  At the end of this recipe you will see a frosting that you can just dip the tops into and swirl around or decorate them or just leave them alone and don't frost at all. I did add the frosting recipe that I used below as well. This recipe is a keeper for sure.


We had a little assembly line going.  I'd place the cookie cutters and she'd press down and then move them to the cookie sheet. My cookie cutters came in a set of 4 different sizes so we kept going with no problems.  Quite the system.



I didn't line the cookies sheets with anything nor did I spray them and I didn't have any problems removing the cookies.



They baked up perfectly after 12 minutes.




Decorating was fun!  This recipes makes an awful lot of cookies so be prepared. I brought the majority of them to work and they were completely gone by the end of the day.

I found this recipe in the "TasteofHome Cookies" book.  Called Molasses Spice Cutouts on page 23 by Doris Heinen, St. Cloud, Minnesota

Cookie Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup light molasses
  • 1/2 cup cold coffee
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
In a large bowl; cream together the butter and sugar.  Beat in the molasses and coffee.  In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.  Add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and mix well.  Chill the dough for 1-2 hours.  You can add more flour if the dough seems sticky while you're working with it. Lightly flour your work surface and then roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut shapes with cookie cutters and then place on a ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.  Cool on racks.

Decorator's Frosting: (I used this above)

  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 4 drops red food coloring


Mix the butter and confectioners' sugar and milk until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and food coloring if desired.  I put the frosting in a zip lock bag and cut a very small corner of the bad off to decorate with.

Icing (optional) - (I didn't use this recipe for the cookies above; I used this one)

  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla


combine gelatin and water in a small saucepan.  Let stand for 5 minutes to soften.  Add the sugar and heat while stirring over very low heat until the sugar and gelatin dissolve.  Transfer to a bowl and add the confectioners sugar; beat until foamy.  Add the baking powder and vanilla and beat until very thick - about 10 minutes.

No comments: