January 25, 2012

Ina Garten's Homemade Granola Bars


Continuing my efforts to post more healthy recipes; I decided to try my hand at homemade granola bars!  Why not right?  Doesn't look that hard when I see them do it on the Food Network. I went through a lot of different recipes and finally settled on one that I knew wouldn't disappoint.  Ina Garten really knows a thing or two about cooking, don't ya think?

I chose this recipe for several reasons.  I loved the idea of adding dried fruit.  I wanted a chewy type granola bar.  I didn't want artificial sweeteners. I wanted to use ingredients I already had. This recipe turned out to be everything I wanted and more.  I loved it.  I wrapped several bars up in plastic wrap and brought them to work so my co-workers could give me their opinions and got great reviews.  This is a far cry from the desserts I usually bring in but I wanted to show that I'm versatile. :)

 

Start by browning some oatmeal and nuts in the oven.  When you can smell them, they're done! They can burn quickly so be careful.

 

I was glad for the wheat germ in this recipe.  I usually only use this in bran muffins.



Line a dish with parchment paper. This will make it easier to cut into bars.

 

Mmmmm, toasty.

 

The magic concoction.

Add the hot mixture to the oat mixture.

 

Stir well.

 

Add the chopped dried fruit.

 

Lightly press into the prepared dish and bake.

 

Let thoroughly cool before cutting.

 


I hope you enjoy these as much as I did.  Ina, you're my hero!


Modified slightly from the recipe found here

2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup sliced almonds (I only had whole)
1 cup shredded coconut, loosely packed (mine was sweetened)
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates (I used figs)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (I only had a few apricots so I also used cherries)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (I used raisins)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9x11 inch pan.  The original recipe calls for a 8x12 inch dish, which I do not own.

Put the oatmeal, almonds and coconut on a sheet pan (jelly roll pan) and spread out into an even layer. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes stirring once so there is even toasting.  Pour into a large mixing bowl.

Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, salt and vanilla.  Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until well combined and then pour over the oatmeal mixture.  Stir to coat.  Add the diced dry fruit and stir well.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.  Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture down into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting.

No comments: