January 3, 2012

Crazy Feta


When I found this recipe on the  "how Sweet it is" blog I knew I had to try it.  I love Feta cheese. I'm not a huge fan of jalapenos but I knew that after roasting them and removing their seeds there wouldn't be much heat left and I was right.  You get the taste of the pepper without the heat and the roasted garlic turns sweet and yummy.

It was really hard for me to stop snacking on this and save some for my guests.

Apparently the origin of this dip/spread (according to the above referenced blog) was from a restaurant in DC called "Cava" and "Whole Foods" sells something like it too.  I've never had it until I made it here but I will make it again for sure!



Recipe found on "how Sweet it is" blog: Crazy Feta

2 bricks of feta cheese, 8 ounces each
3 whole jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon
1 bulb garlic
the juice of half a lemon
the zest of half a lemon
salt and pepper

Begin by roasting the garlic and the jalapenos.  Cut off the end of the garlic, pour about a tsp of olive oil on the cut side and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil.  Heat the oven to 400 degrees and then place the garlic on the rack and roast for about 30 minutes or so.  For the jalapenos: brush them with some olive oil, salt and pepper and place in the oven with the garlic.  Watch the jalapenos for signs up blistering and then remove.  Let the garlic and jalapenos cool and then take the garlic and squeeze out the pulp into a bowl.  Take the jalapenos and cut off the ends, then slice down the side and remove the seeds.  Cut into small pieces.

Use your hands to break up the feta into pieces in the bowl with the garlic and jalapeno pieces.  Add the lemon juice and zest.  Using a fork, mix together well.  Now add the Olive Oil until you reach the desired consistency.  You can leave it sort of chunky or more pasty, it's up to you.  Salt and Pepper to taste.

Best if served at room temperature.  Refrigerate leftovers.

Break of the feta cheese with your fingers into a medium sized bowl. 

No comments: