January 30, 2012

Banana Bread Snack Cake



This recipe was the winner for me for three reasons.

1. I had three banana's on my counter that were starting to look.....less than appealing.
2. I only had one egg.
3. I love banana bread.

It was fate that I just happened to be reading the newest recipe from one of the websites I follow and saw this recipe.  I was meant to be.

I'm sure I'm one of about a million people who love banana bread, so I was super excited to see this variation of it in a snack cake form.  I sometimes have trouble getting through an entire loaf of banana bread when my husband is out of town (yes I could cut it in half and freeze it but I don't think of logical things when I'm surrounded by banana bread) so this cake seemed much more doable for my daughter and I. 

I loved how moist this cake stayed even after a couple of days in the refrigerator.  My husband got home just in time to claim the last couple of pieces and he topped them with whipped cream.  Of course he's been known to dip an entire banana in whipped cream and eat it as a snack, but I digress. 

I loved this recipe and will make it again!

The recipe can be found on "How Sweet It Is" here.

Banana Bread Snack Cake
1 egg
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 mashed ripe banana's, about 1 1/2 cups
1 cup flour (I used all-purpose but the original calls for whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl add the egg and brown sugar and mix well.  Add the vanilla and banana's and mix until combined.  Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until combined.  Drizzle in the butter and combine well.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the center does not jiggle anymore and the edges are golden brown.  Let cool before cutting.

The original recipe had a cream cheese glaze that looked amazing!  I didn't have any cream cheese or I would have made it for sure.  Check out the website linked above for the glaze.

No comments: