Fall always makes me think of homemade bread. Probably because it's actually starting to get bearable to turn on the oven again. Yay for Fall!
I'm on a quest to find the perfect wheat sandwich bread recipe so occasionally I attempt a new recipe. I was looking for a recipe that incorporated molasses this time because I thought that it would really enhance the wheat flavor. This bread recipe has a lot of unexpected additions like wheat cereal and oats and it wasn't difficult to make. Well it is time intensive as are all yeast bread recipes but if you have some time to kill why not make homemade bread?
The addition of oats
Bran cereal - I was using what I had on hand...
Before the first rise cycle
After the first rise cycle
Cut in half and let rest for 10 minutes.
Form into loaves and let rise again.
Butter or jam and eat - while warm if possible. I would go ahead and freeze the other loaf right away unless you feel you can eat through both fairly quickly.
Honey Molasses Wheat Bread
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup whole bran cereal
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 to 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, mix the water, honey, molasses and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes while it becomes foamy.
- Transfer the yeast mixture to the bowl of your stand mixer and add the milk powder, eggs, oil and salt. Mix together. Next add the oats, wheat germ and bran cereal. When combined, add the wheat flour and as much AP flour that forms a stiff dough.
- On a well floured surface knead the dough for about 8 minutes adding more AP flour as needed.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover, let rise until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, cut the dough in half and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into two loaves and place them in well greased 8x4x2 loaf pans. Cover and let rise again until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.