September 6, 2012

Hummus


It's almost the weekend.  Yippee!  Well does anyone have any big plans?  These gas prices are crazy aren't they? Hopefully you're not driving anywhere too far.

We have a pretty busy week coming up so I'll try to keep up on posts but don't yell at me too much if I slack a little OK?

One of the things I've been meaning to make for quite a while is hummus.  I know it's totally easy to make but for some reason I just never get around to actually doing it.  Until now.  I knew the chef who would give me a winner recipe and I was right.  Ina Garten, she's a genius you know.

I wasn't under the illusion that my daughter was going to eat this because it's got raw garlic and hot sauce in the recipe but I knew that is exactly what would appeal to my husband and I.  Now that I know how easy this is to make I can branch out and experiment with other flavors too.  Maybe one of them will get my daughter interested.



This recipe came together in like 5 minutes.  Seriously.  It's so quick and full of flavor.  There are about a million different ways to make it but this one is a nice simple one that appeals to a lot of people.  The hot sauce it's so prominent that someone who doesn't like spicy food shouldn't try it.  You can't really taste the "heat" at all.  You do get this wonderful red color from it however.


I would say the flavor is garlic with some vinegar tones (from the hot sauce) with the wonderful texture from the chickpeas.  You've got to give this a try for your next party!

Hummus
From Ina Garten


Ingredients
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained with the liquid reserved
  • 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
  • 6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp water or liquid reserved from the cans of chickpeas
  • 8 dashes hot sauce
Cooking Directions
  1. Turn on your food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube. Add the remaining ingredients and process until coarsely pureed. Season to taste and serve chilled or room temperature.

No comments: