I hope you all had a great weekend. Some of you may have had a first week of school already and some of you might be gearing up for it this week. Either way, you're probably going to need some chocolate by this weekend.
My daughter and I are working through the online charter school option for our area. That means she's at home with me but it also means she gets all her materials sent to her and she has a teacher and so on. That doesn't let me off the hook however, I'm with her all the time and helping her. It's been an interesting first week but this week looks more promising. We're already in a better routine.
Just in time for a long weekend!!! Yay! I'm going to make these cupcakes again for our neighborhood party. Death by Chocolate, I can't think of a better way to go.
Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
Cupcakes by Sallys Baking Addiction
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, NOT Dutch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large whole eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Line 12 cupcake/muffin cups with paper liners.
- Melt the butter and baking chocolate together in either the microwave, or a small saucepan over medium heat. Let cool when smooth and fully combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry ingredients. (Cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, add the eggs and both sugars and combine until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add half the flour and half the buttermilk and mix until smooth. Keep alternatively adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk until they have all been added and are smooth. Do not over mix, just mix until blended. The mixture will be thick like pudding.
- Divide the batter evenly between all 12 prepared cupcake/muffin cups and bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
Whipped Chocolate Frosting
Frosting by Divas Can Cook
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- Mini chocolate chips (optional, for decoration)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the butter and whip until light and fluffy.
- Add the cream, vanilla extract and cooled melted chocolate chips, beat until well.
- Add the cocoa powder and powdered sugar and salt and beat until light in color and texture.
**Top with mini chocolate chips, if desired**