If you're like me, you have a ton of basil in your garden right now. This is a great recipe for that. Not only does it use a lot of basil but it also can be made ahead or frozen!
Every once in a while I feel like having something other than red sauce on my pasta and this is a great alternative. It's also great on chicken and then grilled. I've even seen some recipes for pesto used in dips, check Pinterest for some of those. Not matter how you use it, it's awesome to have on hand.
Easy to put together and delicious!
Recipe from Ina Garten
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 Tbsp (9 cloves) garlic, chopped
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups good olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add the nuts and garlic to the bowl of a food processor with the blade attachment.
- Pulse for 15 seconds.
- Add the basil and salt and pepper to the bowl and then begin to pour in the olive oil through the top while the processor is on. Process until thoroughly pureed.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and process until mixed in.
- Either serve immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer. Air is the enemy of basil so if you're going to store it, either place plastic wrap over the top making sure to get the air out of it or pour more olive oil over the top so no air is touching the pesto and then store as you wish.