September 22, 2014

Cider-Braised Cabbage



I know that some of you are probably going EEEEEWWWW cabbage!  I understand.  Well, actually I don't because I love cabbage and always have. But my husband doesn't and he totally ate this and didn't die or anything.  In fact, he said it was "good".

I'm doing the Whole30 diet so many of the recipes I'm trying now days are compliant to that diet (many aren't but we're not talking about those right now). I feel like I should also say that the non-compliant food was only made and a small bite taken to test, then it was given to others to enjoy.  OK, now that my conscience is clear we can continue.

Anyway, this cabbage dish is totally delish and so easy to make.  Great as a side to some grilled pork chops or even chicken.  I love the bite from the vinegar.  You have to be a vinegar fan to enjoy this but if you are, you will love it. There isn't much cabbage taste left once you're done.  The apple gives a nice sweet little bite and the onion adds the savory hint that really makes this a wonderful side dish.

Plus, you won't feel guilty eating it.  Just sayin.

Cider-Braised Cabbage
Recipe from Food Network Magazine March 2014


Ingredients
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced
  • 1 apple chopped and peeled
  • vegetable oil
  • 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Cooking Directions
  1. In a dutch oven, add some vegetable oil then add the sliced onion and chopped apple. Cook about 5 minutes until tender.
  2. Add the cabbage and remaining ingredients and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender.

No comments: