Hump Day! I never say that but It felt right today. It's been a hectic week. Well, we're almost done with it now. Closer to Friday. Yay!
My mornings can be a little hectic, how about yours?
This recipe was another attempt to make my morning less stressful. I think I succeeded. These bars are fantastic. Easy to throw together and so delicious. Use any flavor preserves you want! The crumb top and bottom is so tender, with a nice texture from the oatmeal. The sweetness of the filling is the perfect compliment.
I can see this as being one of my summer picnic foods too. Nothing here that will melt away in the hot weather. They are sturdy when kept cold so they'd pack nicely in a lunch box or as a snack. Plus you get the added benefit of the healthy oatmeal.
My husband couldn't get enough of these. Healthier than the store bought fruit bars and simple to make.
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman
- 1 3/4 stick butter, cold cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, quick or old fashioned
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 jar (10 - 12 oz) strawberry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 350º and butter a 9x13 inch dish.
- Stir together the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking power and salt. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or two forks.
- Pour half the mixture into the prepared dish, pressing down slightly to pack it.
- Smear the preserves over the top and spread out evenly.
- Top with the other half of the mixture and press lightly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cool completely before serving.