September 24, 2014

Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars


So, on Monday I mentioned that I was doing the Whole30 diet right? You're looking at the one item that made me plunge off my diet for an evening.  Well, here's the thing.  I made them to take with me and some friends when we went to a Brad Paisley concert.  I knew I'd have to be careful with them, I mean, it's chocolate and peanut butter for goodness sake.

So I intended to just take one quick bite so I could write about them.

Well, that didn't exactly work out the way I planned.

I ate a whole one before the concert.  Then I ate another one after the concert.  Yep, totally failed on my diet.  I admit it.

The good news is that they are freaking amazing.  Totally worth crash diving off my diet. I would do it again if I had the choice. My husbands exact words were "best dessert I've had in a long time".  I think he's right.

The cookie layer is chewy, with chunks of those peanut butter cups.  The topping is both chocolate and peanut butter so it is a perfect compliment to the cookie.  Just out of this world!  If I had more, I'd be eating them right now.  I don't.  I have to give them away, they were WAY to dangerous.


Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars
Recipe form My Baking Addiction


Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mini peanut butter cups
Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 Tbsp peanut butter
Cooking Directions
  1. Line an 8x8 inch pan with tin foil, then spray the tin foil with non-stick spray.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350º
  3. In a medium bowl add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and salt.  Stir together and set aside. 
  4. In the bowl of your stand mixer add the butter and brown sugar.  Blend well. 
  5. Add the egg and vanilla extract and blend. 
  6. Slowly add the flour mixture and blend until smooth. 
  7. Add the peanut butter cups and incorporate by hand so they stay in tact. 
  8. Pour the batter into the prepared dish, even out the top.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
  9. Let cool.  While the cookies are cooling prepare the topping by putting the ingredients into a microwave safe dish and heating at 50% power for 30 seconds.  Stir, repeat until the mixture is smooth. 
  10. When the cookies are cool, pour the topping and smooth it out so its even.  Refrigerate for at least  30 minutes and then cut into bars and serve. 

No comments: