So, on Monday I mentioned that I was doing the Whole30 diet right? You're looking at the one item that made me plunge off my diet for an evening. Well, here's the thing. I made them to take with me and some friends when we went to a Brad Paisley concert. I knew I'd have to be careful with them, I mean, it's chocolate and peanut butter for goodness sake.
So I intended to just take one quick bite so I could write about them.
Well, that didn't exactly work out the way I planned.
I ate a whole one before the concert. Then I ate another one after the concert. Yep, totally failed on my diet. I admit it.
The good news is that they are freaking amazing. Totally worth crash diving off my diet. I would do it again if I had the choice. My husbands exact words were "best dessert I've had in a long time". I think he's right.
The cookie layer is chewy, with chunks of those peanut butter cups. The topping is both chocolate and peanut butter so it is a perfect compliment to the cookie. Just out of this world! If I had more, I'd be eating them right now. I don't. I have to give them away, they were WAY to dangerous.
Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Bars
Recipe form My Baking Addiction
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups
Chocolate Peanut Butter Topping
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with tin foil, then spray the tin foil with non-stick spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking soda and baking powder and salt. Stir together and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the butter and brown sugar. Blend well.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and blend.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter cups and incorporate by hand so they stay in tact.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish, even out the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool. While the cookies are cooling prepare the topping by putting the ingredients into a microwave safe dish and heating at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir, repeat until the mixture is smooth.
- When the cookies are cool, pour the topping and smooth it out so its even. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and then cut into bars and serve.