One of my favorite childhood foods was Sloppy Joe's. I still love them to this day although I don't make them that often.
As some of you know, my daughter falls into that "worlds pickiest eater" category. I had high hopes for this casserole. She hasn't liked regular sloppy joe's in the past.
She liked it. Didn't love it but certainly didn't snub her nose at it like she does most things.
We might be making progress.
I on the other hand really liked this. It's easy to make and quick. I know that most of us are always trying to find something for busy weeknights and this is a great one. It takes less than an hour from start to finish, so not super fast but fast enough for most of us.
You basically start out by making a cornbread with creamed corn in it. While it's baking you whip up the meat mixture. Pour the meat mixture on top of the partially cooked cornbread and then bake it the rest of the way. Easy peasy.
Soppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
Recipe from BunsInMyOven
- 1 (8.5 ounce) box cornbread mix (like Jiffy)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream style corn
- 1 (24 ounce) can sloppy joe sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- In a bowl mix together the cornbread mix, 1/2 cup of the cheese, milk, egg and canned corn. Stir together and pour into a greased 9x13 inch dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until just set.
- While the cornbread is baking, work on the sloppy joe portion.
- In a large skillet, add the butter and the onion and bell pepper. Cook until just starting to soften.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, drain.
- Pour in all but 1/2 cup of sloppy joe mix. Stir around and let get warm.
- When the cornbread comes out of the oven prick it with a fork all over. Pour the 1/2 cup of reserved sloppy joe mix over the cornbread and smooth out.
- Pour the meat mixture over the top and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with the green onion if desired.