January 29, 2015

Vinegar-Braised Chicken and Onions



I know I've mentioned in the past that I'm not the biggest chicken lover in the world.  I make myself eat it because I don't want to eat red meat all the time.  The secret for me is a gravy or sauce of some kind.

When I saw this recipe online the other day and it was like it was calling to me.  First off, I love dutch oven cooking. Secondly, I love the flavor of vinegar.

The recipe did not disappoint.  It had me at "pancetta". I love pancetta.

It does take a little bit of time to get this recipe on the table but it is SO worth it.  I am in love with this recipe, and that coming from me is high praise.  If you're not a vinegar fan, don't worry, the chicken doesn't have a really strong vinegar flavor. However, all of the flavors combined are out of this world.  The chicken is extremely moist and falling off the bone. The onions and pancetta are remarkable with the chicken, and the vinegar broth puts it over the top for me.  This is one of my new favorites.

Vinegar-Braised Chicken and Onions
Recipe from Bon Appetit


Ingredients
  • 2 pounds pearl or cipollini onions
  • kosher salt
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 5 pounds chicken, bone-in, skin-on. Thighs and legs. If using breasts, half them crosswise
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 2 bay leaves
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat some water in a large saucepan, add the onions and boil for 5-8 minutes. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut off the root end of the onion and peel off the skin. 
  2. Meanwhile, add the oil to a dutch oven and cook the pancetta until it is golden brown.  Use a slotted spoon to remove and put them into a large bowl. 
  3. Add the onions to the same dutch oven and brown, about 8-10 minutes. 
  4. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the onions and garlic to the same bowl the pancetta is in. 
  5. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.  Cook in the same dutch oven in batches so that all the pieces are golden brown on all sides. 
  6. Drain the oil.  Add both vinegars and bring to a boil.  Scrape the brown bits off the bottom.  Add the broth, raisins and bay leaves and all the previously cooked items. (onions, pancetta, garlic and chicken). 
  7. Bring back up to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes with the dutch oven partially covered. 
  8. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.  Remove the chicken and them skim the fat off the top of the liquid and serve the chicken with the onions with some liquid poured over the top. 

No comments: