Another chicken recipe that I'm in love with. I'm really getting into this chicken idea. I might end up liking it after all. I could eat this chicken recipe every week, and I would if it weren't for the frying part. Not that I mind eating fried stuff, but that act of actually frying is more than I could do on a weekly basis.
I absolutely adore how crunchy the chicken gets and then it's covered in this delicious thick orange sauce. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Traditionally served over rice, I skipped that step. I needed all the extra room I could get inside my belly for this deliciousness.
Chinese Orange Chicken
Recipe from Cooking Classy
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 - 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp dried ginger
- 2 Tbsp grated yellow onion, and the juices
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- black or white pepper, finely ground to taste
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- diced green onion for garnish
- In a medium saucepan add the chicken broth, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, onion, garlic and sriracha. Whisk together and then pour out 2/3 of a cup.
- In a gallon sized zip lock bag add the chicken pieces and pour the 2/3 cup of reserved sauce over the top. Marinade in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinading, turn the heat on under the saucepan full of sauce, bring to a boil. In a small bowl add together 2 Tbsp of the cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of the water and then add it to the sauce. Heat on medium low for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit until needed.
- Pour enough vegetable oil in a dutch oven to measure about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep. Heat to 350º.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs in one dish and put the remaining 1 1/4 cups of cornstarch in another dish.
- When the oil is ready, remove the chicken from the bag and dump out the leftover marinated from the chicken bag. Roll the chicken in the egg and then the cornstarch and then put in the oil. Let fry until golden brown, remove to a paper towel lined cookie sheet. Work in batches until they are all cooked.
- Roll the fried chicken around in the thickened sauce and serve hot. Top with green onions if desired.