March 12, 2015

Lemon Chicken Piccata



The weather in the South is schizophrenic. One day of 70's, the next day of 40's. I know you are all experiencing the same thing.  I never know how to dress from one day to the next! Although, I do feel like spring is almost upon us.  A couple more cold days in the ten day forecast but for the most part its definitely warming up. 

I continue to try to amp up my taste for chicken.  I made a very important step in that process by brining the chicken first.  Great improvement.  Not that I would sit down and eat a brined grilled chicken breast anytime soon but it's getting better. I need lots of flavor on chicken.  This recipe has that. 

First off, I love that you cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise first.  This allows for more lemon flavor and less big chunks of meat.  That's part of my problem with chicken breasts, too much white meat in a bite.  I need more sauce on less chicken.  That's just how I roll. 

Secondly, this is easy to put together and even though there are some steps, they aren't major.  You can get this ready pretty quickly.  I enjoyed it very much, and coming from a non-chicken lover, that's sayin' somethin'.
Lemon Chicken Piccata
Recipe from jo cooks


Ingredients
  • 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half length wise.
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • about 1/4 to 1/2 cup all purpose flour for dredging
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup brined capers
  • 1/3 cup fresh parsley flakes, chopped
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter and the olive oil.
  2. Salt and pepper the chicken and then dredge in the flour, shake off the excess. Place in the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, flip over and do the same to the other side.
  3. Remove from the pan and remove the pan from the heat. Add the lemon juice, broth (or wine) and capers and place back over the heat. Heat to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
  4. Add the chicken breasts back in and simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken again and add the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter. Whisk until slightly thickened.
  5. You can either add the chicken back into the pan and put the parsley on top or you can plate the chicken and pour the sauce over the top and add the parsley.

No comments: