So, this daylight savings change has really screwed me up this time. I mean, it's been harder than usual. Waking up while it's still dark outside just seems so wrong.
On the upside, I made this Tortellini dish on Saturday, before the sleep deprivation kicked in.
There are lots of reasons I love this dish. It doesn't take long to make, less than 30 minutes. It tastes fantastic and even though it's main component is cheese tortellini it also has spinach and tomato so I'm still classifying it as healthy-ish. Just kidding, it's not skinny food, that's for sure. The creamy sauce is so delicious and comforting. Perfect meal to just snack on or to have as a side. I made it at a cookout I was invited to (yes we had a day nice enough to cook out in) and I thought it was a great accompaniment with burgers.
Creamy Spinach and Tomato Tortellini
Recipe from Bombshell Bling
- 1 (8 oz) bag dried or (16 oz) fresh Tortellini
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated or finely shredded
- Follow the instructions on the tortellini to cook the pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, use a large skillet to briefly warm the minced garlic. About 30 seconds.
- Add the canned tomatoes, spinach, salt and pepper, dried basil and onion flakes. Cook over medium heat until it bubbles.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and the half and half until mostly smooth.
- Add the half and half mixture to the skillet along with the Parmesan cheese and stir until well incorporated. Heat to a boil and then reduce to medium low heat and let thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the drained tortellini and stir well. Serve.