What dessert can be made for the 4th of July that can sit outside in the heat and not melt to pieces? Well, several things actually but since I had several parties to go to this past weekend I needed to branch out. I'd made these cookies once before on a recommendation from my cousin and they were delicious! It's easy and patriotic - because of the red and white, I guess you could serve them on a blue dish and that would cover all your bases!
Get yourself some yummy strawberries and heavy cream, the rest of the ingredients you probably already have. Cut the berries into small pieces.
Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir.
While the strawberry mixture is getting happy, mix together the remaining dry ingredients and then pour the strawberries into it. Fold the strawberries into the mixture while attempting not to crush the little cuties. They've already been through so much.
Form the mixture into cookie globs (that's a technical term) and then sprinkle them with sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes or until they're golden brown.
The bad news is that you need to eat these fairly quickly, the good news is it won't be a problem!
The sprinkling of sugar on the top before baking gives these cookies the perfect little crunch on top while the insides are moist and fruity. Great for a hot summer day when you're looking for something a little sweet but not too heavy!
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
This recipe is from Martha Stewart and can be found here.
- 12 oz. strawberries, hulled and petite diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp (3 oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes.
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- extra sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the strawberries, lemon juice and 2 Tbsp sugar.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, 7 Tbsp of sugar.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or use your fingers until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add in the cream until a dough forms and then add in the strawberry mix.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and then using a cookie scoop or a Tbsp drop balls of dough about 2 inches apart.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 24-25 minutes, they will be golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire wrack to cool completely.
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day.