September 16, 2010

Angel Food Cake


I finally did it!!  I finally made a really good Angel Food Cake!  Some of you out there might be thinking, "I've been making them for years, what's the big deal?"  I've never been successful at making one.  They always turn out too hard, to sticky, not flavorful, etc. etc.  I recently had a lot of eggs I needed to use up and I knew I would need a lot for this cake; so I searched for every other kind of recipe I could think of to use up these eggs in hopes that I wouldn't have to resort to Angel Food Cake; but alas it was meant to be.  Some of the steps seem silly but who cares! It works!


I hope you have a lot of eggs on hand.  This recipe calls for 12 egg whites but then says that it needs to equal 1 1/2 cups - which 11 eggs did for me.



Pour the eggs into your mixing bowl and let sit for about 30 minutes so they can come up to room temperature.


Sift the flour and the confectioner sugar together THREE times.  Why three? I have no idea but that's what the directions said to do and that's what I did!


Add some Cream of Tarter


Then add some vanilla


Now some Almond Extract


A tiny bit of salt


Beat the egg white mixture on high speed and then gradually add the sugar.


Beat this until stiff peaks form. This is so glossy and beautiful. Egg whites and I haven't been very good friends in the past.  I see a future for us now.



Slowly fold the flour/confectioners sugar mixture to the egg whites. Be very gentle.  The eggs whites are sensitive.  


Spoonful by spoonful; put the mixture into a bundt pan.


Take a knife and run it through the mixture to release any air bubbles.


Isn't it purdy.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 - 45 minutes.  Geez, it's a work of art I tell ya.


Straight from the oven, invert the bundt pan on a cooling rack and leave there to cool completely.



This isn't quite as pretty, I needed to use a butter knife to get the cake to release from the pan.


Anything can be beautified with whipped cream and strawberries on top, don't you agree?  I got thumbs up reviews from my husband and my toddler.  I would have to say, this is just like the one's I usually buy from the supermarket.  Very moist inside, flavorful, perfect. 

Here's where you can find the recipe: Heavenly Angel Food Cake

No comments: