September 1, 2010

Quick Pan Chili


Sometimes you just want a bowl of chili and not a huge pot of chili.  This recipe does make more than just one serving, but its so versatile that you certainly could just make one serving.  You can change up pretty much everything in this recipe and invent your own favorite.


Start by browning some ground beef.  I used about 1/2 a pound.


While the meat is browning, chop of one medium to small onion.


Add the onion to the meat and cook until tender - about 5 minutes.


Add one can of tomato sauce.  You could used diced tomato's here too.


Add a can of beans, I used kidney beans but Pinto would be yummy too.


I added peas because I love them, but corn would be really good or any veggie - or no veggie at all.


I keep homemade chili seasoning in my cupboard, I'll put the recipe below.


Some people would say this is a very odd ingredient but I really think black olives are perfect here.


I upped the spiciness factor slightly by adding some Red Pepper Flakes.  This is optional of course.  Let all these flavors mix together at a simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes.


I topped with shredded cheese and sour cream.  Delicious!

Here's what you'll need:
1/2 pound ground beef
1 can (14 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
1 medium onion
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 Tbsp chili seasoning - or to your taste
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes - or to your taste

I add didn't really measure anything for this recipe so you'll just have to do some tasting along the way to make sure it's right for you and your family.
Brown the ground beef, then add the chopped onion and cook until tender. Add the tomato sauce, kidney beans, peas and seasonings and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes. 

 Chili Seasoning Mix

No comments: