My dad's coming to visit me today and I have been running around cleaning and washing and folding and it occurred to me last night, there's no food in this house. Well, that's an exaggeration because there is ALWAYS food in the house. But there wasn't anything yummy that I had made recently; so I turned to Ina Garten to solve my problem. It worked, she always has such good ideas doesn't she?
I mean really, you can't beat cake with streusel topping inside AND on top, then drizzled with a glaze made out of real maple syrup. Gulp.
This is an easy recipe to make. You just mix it like you would a cake, then pour half the batter in a tube pan and put 3/4 of the streusel on top of that, then cover with the remaining batter. Top it off with the rest of the streusel and bake. Easy.
After it's cool, whip up some of the glaze and drizzle over the top. Yum.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Recipe from Ina Garten via Food Network
- 12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Grease and flour a 10 tube pan
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla extract and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients a little at a time until blended.
- For the streusel: in a small bowl mix together all the ingredients except the nuts and pinch together with your fingers until crumbly. Add nuts if desired.
- Pour half the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth down so it's somewhat even on top.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cups of the streusel over the top, then add the remaining batter and then the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a cooling rack.
- Once cool move to a serving plate and mix the confectioners sugar and maple syrup together with a whisk and drizzle over the top.