June 4, 2011

Frozen Cherry Mojitos


When I saw this recipe on another blog I knew instantly I'd be making, and soon. With temperatures around here in the mid to upper 90's already I can't think of anything more satisfying than a frozen drink.  Cherries happen to be one of may favorites so that didn't hurt either.

I didn't have much time to whip this up but I plan to make them again very soon so I'll freeze the glasses ahead of time, and make the simple syrup in advance so it can cool properly.  I loved this drink, my friends loved it too.  I have a sweet tooth (in case you haven't noticed) so I thought it was perfect just as is, but if you don't like your drinks overly sweet, just add the simple syrup a little at a time until you reach your desired sweetness level.


Add the sugar and water to a small pot, zest three limes and then juice them and add to the sugar water. 



Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.



Let cool until room temperature.



Rum!



Frozen cherries...



Ice, mint, simple syrup - Now blend the heck out of it.






You should go make this, you'll be happy you did.

I found this recipe here

1 pound bag frozen pitted cherries
3 cups crushed ice, plus extra to serve if desired
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
1 cup white rum
Lime Simple Syrup, recipe follows
Lime wedges and fresh cherries, for garnish

Place the frozen cherries, ice, mint, rum, and lime simple syrup in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Pour the mixture into chilled glasses and top with crushed ice. Garnish with lime wedges and cherries.


Simple Syrup

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 limes, juiced and zested

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, lime juice, and lime zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool to room temperature minutes before using. If making in advance, store in a sealed container within the refrigerator.

No comments: