June 27, 2011

Pizza Dough


Homemade pizza dough, that rises in the refrigerator? Count me in! Too easy if you ask me.  My hubs is a self proclaimed pizza connoisseur.  Well, other than the fact that he's never made his own pizza. Being from the Boston area he has had some of the best; so I believe him when he told me that this was way better than anything he's gotten from a grocery store or pizza parlor.  Win win!


Put the flour and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer.



With the paddle attachment, drizzle the olive oil in while mixing on low speed. Next, pour in the yeast/water mixture.



Coat a mixing bowl with olive oil and then form the dough into a ball and roll it over in the bowl a couple of times so it's coated in the olive oil. Cover it with plastic wrap.

Now refrigerate it. 2 days is recommended - 3 or 4 days is even better.



This is after 2 days.  I couldn't wait any longer. I had to try it. This makes two pizza's so cut this dough in half.



Drizzle olive oil over a cookie sheet and then rub it around so it's coated.  This caused me to  have trouble getting a very thin crust.  I'm going to try a pizza stone next time.


I made cheese pizza for my daughter, and for my hubby and I we had black olive and artichoke hearts.  It was delicious.  I'll repeat this many times over before declaring my "favorite" toppings.

1 tsp Active Dry or Instant Yeast
4 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/3 C. extra virgin olive oil

Sprinkle the yeast over 1 1/2 Cups of warm water.  The water needs to be warm, but not hot.  Combine the flour and the salt.  Use the paddle attachment for your mixer and mix the flour and salt on low speed while slowly drizzling in the olive oil.  Now add the yeast and water mixture until just combined.
Grease a mixing bowl with olive oil and form the dough into a ball, now turn it several times in the bowl until it's coated in the oil.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 days.

When ready to make.  Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.  Roll the dough out on a cookie sheet as thin as you can get it.  The thinner the better. Top with your favorite toppings. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes but watch carefully so the cheese doesn't get too dark.  Mine didn't cook for the full 10 minutes and the cheese was plenty dark.  I'm also not sure if a pizza stone cook time or temperature will vary since I haven't tried it yet.

Let me know what your favorite pizza toppings are! Enjoy!

The recipe came from here.

No comments: