July 11, 2011

Bacon-Chicken Crescent Ring


In an effort to find more interesting quick dinner's for us, and for you I've started to plan my meals again.  This way I can try new things out each time but only go grocery shopping for the needed items once.  We did this last year and it seemed to save us money also.  Not sure why we stopped doing it.  Anyway, found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine.  I always make a recipe exactly as it's written to begin with and then if I make it again I make the changes I want.  The only change I would make here is not using canned chicken.  I have no plans to start making my own crescent roll dough and that would also defeat the quick and easy portion of this menu so in it stays.  My husband loved it.  I loved it.  My daughter did not love it.  But she doesn't count, she won't eat anything.

First you'll need to cook up some bacon so it'll be cook and you can break it up without burning yourself.



Next, mix in all the remaining ingredients (except the crescent roll dough). 



Stir together until well mixed.



I got to use my brand new pizza stone.  I know I shouldn't be this excited about something so simple...but I am. Anyway, if it's the first time you use your new pizza stone, you'll want to spray it with Pam to start it getting "seasoned" properly. 

Lay out the crescent roll dough so that the long sides are on the baking sheet, and the top corner is slightly off the top.  At the end it should look like a sunshine.



Carefully add the filling.  I found that using my hands was the best way to do this.  You sort of need to form it with your hands so it doesn't fall all over the place.



Pull the top corner over the filling and tuck it under.  At this point you might want to make sure the ring part is not too close to the edge so you don't get filling that falls over the edge and makes a mess in your oven.  I'm totally just anticipating that that could happen.  It didn't happen to me at all.  OK, yes it did.



Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.



Recipe from here

2 tubes refrigerated crescent roll dough (8 ounces each)
1 can (10 ounces) chicken - drained
1 1/2 C. (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 C. mayonnaise
1/2 C. finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 C. finely chopped onion
6 strips of bacon.  Cooked and broken into pieces
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Italian salad dressing

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 14 inch pizza pan. Unroll the crescent roll and separate into 16 pieces.  Place the wide end of each triangle about 3 inches from the edge; the top corner will be hanging off the edge.  Overlap the dough until all 16 pieces are placed evenly on the pizza pan.  It should resemble a sunshine. 

Place the filling on the dough using your hands to form it and keep it in place until all the filling has been evenly distributed.  Take the top corner of the dough and fold it over the top and tuck in underneath the bottom piece. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  Let cool slightly for easier cutting and serving.

No comments: