July 5, 2011

Bluebarb Pie


Blueberries and Rhubarb together? What a great idea!  I wish I'd thought of it. When I saw this recipe in Taste of Home magazine I knew I'd have to make it.  First of all my husband LOVES blueberries.  He's been asking me to make a blueberry pie for a long time so I was happy to see this one that had the little rhubarb twist to it.  Blueberry pie in it's own is very good obviously, but I wanted something beyond "good"; I wanted GREAT!

This recipe is very easy, I did use a different crust because I have tried one from The Pioneer Woman that I just love and use it because I know I already love it.  The filling is perfect; even my husband was impressed and even said (and I quote) "this might even be better then just regular blueberry pie".  That's a pretty big statement coming from him.


To make this crust you simply put the flour and shortening in a bowl and use a pastry cutter (or two forks) to work it until you get small pebble sized pieces.
Beat an egg with a fork and then add it to the flour mixture.
Add the cold water, vinegar and salt and stir until incorporated.  This makes three crusts.  I just put one in the freezer until I need it.

Recipe will be at the bottom of this post.












In a large bowl combine the sugar, tapioca and salt.


Mix in the berries and stir together until all the berries and rhubarb are coated.



Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Dot with butter.



After you put the top crust on, crimp the edges together and cut slits into the top.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.



Bake at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.




I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! I'll be making it again soon!

You can find the recipe for the crust here.

You can find the recipe for the filling here.

Crust:
1 1/2 C. Crisco shortening
3 C. all-purpose flour
1 whole egg
5 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp salt

Put the flour and shortening in a bowl and use a pastry cutter to work together until pea sized pieces form.  Beat an egg in a separate bowl and then add to the mixture.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix until incorporated. 

Separate the dough into three even pieces.  Roll each segment into a ball, then flatten slightly.  You can either use right away or put each piece in a zip lock bag and freeze for later.

Filling:
1 1/2 C. Sugar
3 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups sliced or frozen rhubarb - thawed. (I only had 2 cups frozen rhubarb)
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries - thawed (I used 4 cups of fresh berries)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp. 2% milk (I used 1% and it was fine).
Course sugar or granulated sugar.

Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the tapioca, sugar and salt. Mix in the berries and rhubarb and coat well.  Add to the prepared pie shell and dot with butter. Cover with another dough piece, crimp the edges and flute the edges.  Brush with milk and then sprinkle with sugar.

Cook for 40-45 minutes.  Put tin foil on the edges of the crust for the last 15 minutes if needed.

Cool on a wire rack before cutting.

No comments: