July 7, 2011

How to Freeze Peaches


So, you may remember that several weeks ago I went with my friend Melissa to go Peach and Blueberry picking.


Well, turns out this is WAY too many peaches for me to try to eat while keeping them fresh.  So, I had two choices in my book.  Peach jam (yum) or freeze them.  It sort of takes two people to make peach jam so I decided to freeze them.

Here's how I did it.



First wash the peaches, then give them a quick dip in boiling water. They only need to be in there for 20-45 seconds.



Now put them in a bowl of ice water. This will make the skins come right off.


Peel off the skins and slice.  Put into a container and pour in the lemon juice.  Make sure all the peaches have been covered with some lemon juice so they don't start to turn dark.  Next, add the liquid of your choice.  I used apple juice but you can also make a syrup using water and sugar.


Put them in (I used quart sized) freezer bags and freeze.

This is the greatest resource ever if you want to make jam, jellies, freeze fruit or find a place near you that has fruit picking and so on. Pick Your Own

I found the instructions for freezing peaches here

What you'll need:
5 good sized peaches (make sure they are freestone, or cling-free)
4 Cups of fruit juice
1/4 Lemon juice

What to do:
Wash the peaches
Place them in boiling water for 20-45 seconds
Remove them and place them in a dish of ice water.
Peel the skins off
Take the pit out.
Cut into pieces
Pour the lemon juice over the peaches and stir around to make sure all the peaches get covered.
Pour in the apple juice.
Bag in freezer bags.
Freeze

For much more detail about using syrups instead of juice and other details please view the link above for freezing.

No comments: