August 4, 2011

Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream




It's hot here.  It's really really hot.  So hot that all I want to eat for dinner is ice cream.  Oh wait, maybe that's not just because it's hot; but it certainly doesn't hurt. Boy was I happy to see this recipe from Tracey's Culinary Adventures.  This is one of my favorite ice cream flavors and I had JUST bought some cherries so it was definitely meant to be.

Easy to make, but allow yourself some time for the mixture to cool before mixing it up on your ice cream maker; preferably overnight.  I used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and it was perfect.  I will cherish this recipe!



Start by pitting the cherries.  I sort of guessed at the amount since I don't have a scale and the recipe calls for 3/4 pound.


Next you need to cook the cherries with some heavy cream, milk, sugar and salt.



After it's simmered, put the mixture into a food processor or use an immersion blender to puree the mixture.



Take the pureed mixture and pour it through a fine sieve to remove the larger pieces of cherry.  Really press down on the pieces left in the sieve because they hold lots of good juice. 

Refrigerate until cold or preferably overnight.

Once cold, add to your ice cream maker and blend according to manufacturers instructions.  Add the chocolate chips at the very end of the churn time.


Freeze and then serve.  Enjoy!

Recipe found here

No comments: