August 11, 2011

Lenny J's Barbecued Beef


A while back I asked my brother in-law Lenny to send me his recipe for sloppy joes.  I was corrected and told that his family calls this recipe barbecue beef.  Sorry Lenny (and Lenny's family). I do remember eating this at his house many times and loving it each time.  I pains me to say that.  I mean Lenny and I have an agreement never to compliment each other. ;-)
I am very glad to be in possession of this recipe now as I do enjoy it immensely.  Its a quick and easy weeknight meal or great for a large crowd.  Usually served on hamburger buns, I just didn't have any.


Start by browning some hamburger and then adding chopped celery..


Crisco shortening, or oil




Ketchup



Onion, vinegar, water, brown sugar and dry mustard.



Cook just until the celery begins to soften.


Serve on a hamburger bun, or some toasted bread (like me) and enjoy!

1 1/2 lb hamburger
2 C celery - chopped
1 C ketchup
1 Tbsp Crisco shortening or oil
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 C water
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp onion - chopped (I used more like 1/4 cup)
1 tsp dry mustard


Brown the hamburger and then mix in the remaining ingredients.  Cook until the celery has begun to soften.


No comments: