February 1, 2012

Chocolate Frozen Yogurt


So there I was, wondering what type of low fat treat to make.  You know.  For blogging purposes.  Not that I would EVER need to have random sweets in my house, no not me.  Anywho, back to my story.  There I was wondering what should be created to hit that chocolate craving right in the chin.  My husband suggests chocolate ice cream which makes me think chocolate frozen yogurt, you know, because I'm healthy like that.  So off I go to search the Internet and I stumble upon this recipe.  So I say to myself, self I say, you've never made frozen yogurt before so why don't you whip some up.  So I did.  The End.

Wasn't that story riveting?

I will say this for the frozen yogurt, my daughter liked it a lot.  I also liked it but wished it had been more creamy. However, having said that you save a lot of calories by NOT having all that creaminess so I guess you've got to give a little in that regard.  The flavor was good, you could really taste the yogurt aspect coming out.  It was nice and chocolaty.  You will also want to let this sit out for a few minutes before scooping as it did tend to get sort of hard in the freezer.

I found this recipe here

Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

2 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups full-fat plain yogurt

Use a medium saucepan to heat the milk over medium heat until just under a boil.  Look for tiny bubbles around the edges.  Remove from the heat.

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.  Add 1/4 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then add the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the milk.  This will keep the eggs from cooking in the hot milk.  Turn the heat back on under the saucepan with the milk/egg mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened.  You want the mixture to coat the back of a spoon or for it to register 170 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Stir in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract and then strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.  Allow to cool to room temperature.  Stir in the yogurt and chill in the refrigerator until very cold.  Overnight is best. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.


No comments: