April 16, 2012

New Orleans Style Barbecued Shrimp




I'm addicted to Pinterest.  I know you've heard me mention it here before and if you haven't been on yet you just have to. HAVE to.  There are so many little gems of loveliness on there.  I'm learning how to do things like make my own laundry detergent.  OK well I haven't done that yet but I could if I wanted to.  I have the skills. I have the pictures.  I have the links.

The shrimp you see above it one of the little gems I found and pinned.  I want to eat more shrimp.  It's healthy and quick and easy and goooood.

I found the recipe here, which reminds me.  You just won't believe how many blogs I've stumbled on that I might not have known about otherwise. 

Anyway, give this recipe a try.  As you'll soon see, there isn't much here that has to do with barbecue but apparently in Louisiana this is considered barbecue.  It's really a dry rub and then some sauteing. You won't be sorry, I promise.

New Orleans Style Barbecued Shrimp
Found at "Once Upon a Chef"
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ancho chili pepper powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 pounds extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice, from one lemon
3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, combine the paprika, chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt.  Add the shrimp and coat well. Set aside.

In a large skillet, melt the butter and then add the garlic.  Stir the garlic and cook for about a minute being careful not to get the garlic brown.  Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is almost done.   Add the Worcester, lemon juice and finish cooking the shrimp.  Sprinkle the scallions over the top before serving.

No comments: