April 20, 2012

Orange Ice Cream



So there I was making all of these candied orange peels (to be posted about later) and using all these orange skins and not really thinking about what I was going to do with the actual oranges.  Basically I did it backwards.  I should have decided to make orange ice cream and then thought about the candied orange peels so I wouldn't be wasting anything. Even better, I shouldn't have told anyone the truth about me being a backwards thinker and just let you all think that I'm not wasteful. Yep, that's what I should have done. 

If only there was a delete button or something.

Oh there is?  It's too late now.  I'm too far in.

I really enjoyed this ice cream.  I'm really more of a custard based ice cream lover but this one was pretty creamy for not having eggs.  The flavor was very good, fresh orange juice is the key here. 


Orange Ice Cream
From "Joy of Baking" found here
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until very cold, overnight is best.

Place the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions.

No comments: