October 24, 2012

Betty Crocker's Apple Pie


Apple pie is one of those dishes that I think pretty much everyone can get behind.  I've been eating apples like crazy lately because, well it's the season for them and there are ton's of local apples available.  I made this pie out of some Winesap apples that I had never tried before but were excellent. I made some pumpkin apple bread from them too, which I already posted about here. My neighbor brought me some apples he picked in the mountains near us call Pink Lady and they were also delicious.  Granny Smith are traditional apple pie apples but since there are so many out there and it is the season for them, why not try something new? 



Make (or buy) enough crust for two pies. 


Cut the apples thinly and mix them with the flour/sugar mixture.


Pile up into the prepared crust and begin working on the second crust.


As you can see, my dough was too soft and therefore my lattice top looks pretty pathetic but you get the idea.



Even with my messed up lattice crust this pie cooked up amazing.  Lots of flavor from the cinnamon and nutmeg but not overpowering the apple flavor.  The sticky sauce that was created from the flour and sugar mixture also held this pie together nicely when cutting.  I cut this pie when it was still warm and you can see that it stayed in one nice piece.

Now's the time to make a nice fresh apple pie, don't you think? 


Betty Crocker's Apple Pie
"Betty Crocker's New Cookbook" 1996 edition


Ingredients
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • dash salt
  • 8 cups thinly sliced, peeled tart apples
  • 2 Tbsp stick butter or margarine
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Thinly slice 8 cups of a tart apple such as granny smith; I used Winesap. This would be about 8 medium sized apples.
  4. Pour the sugar mixture over the top of the sliced apples and coat evenly.
  5. Place one of your prepared costs on the bottom of a pie dish, leaving a little overlap around the edges. Pour the apples on top of the bottom crust. Dot the butter over the apples. Cover the apples with the other pie crust and cut slits on the top to let steam escape.
  6. Flute the edges of the pie crust and then cover the edges with some tin foil so they do not get over brown while baking.
  7. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned. Remove the tin foil edging about 15 minutes prior to the finished baking time.

No comments: