October 3, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings



It's time to start revving up your winter recipes.  You can add this one to your list of things to try if you've never tried it.  I'm actually surprised at how many people have never tried or even heard of a dumpling. 

Another interesting fact about dumplings, they differ from the North and the South.  I've had both and I think it depends on my mood for which I will prefer.  I grew up with the rather large softball sized dumplings that are cooked on top of a stew or what have you.  However since I've lived in the South I have also tried and enjoy the southern flat versions.  

The recipe I'm going to share with you is the more Southern variety. 


This is a very simple dough to put together, very easy to work with.


Make sure there is a lot of flour between the layers of dough, this extra flour will help thicken the broth.


Drop one at a time into the broth.


Cook for about 30 minutes or so.


Shred or chop your cooked chicken.


The broth should have thickened after 30 minutes.


Add the chicken...


Serve.

I loved this recipe.  It's easy to put together even on a weeknight.  Full of flavor and texture.  I think you're going to love this recipe.



Chicken and Dumplings
Found at Tasty Kitchen


Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup milk (I didn't use a full cup)
  • 2 quarts chicken broth
  • 3 cups cooked chicken, cut or shredded
Cooking Directions
  1. In a bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. Use cold butter and cut into pieces, then add to the flour. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture.
  2. Slowly add the milk to the flour and work with your hands until a dough forms. You shouldn't need a full cup of milk.
  3. Drop the dough onto a well floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thick. Keep the dough well floured. Cut the dough into 2x2 inch squares. You do not need to be exact. Place the pieces of dough onto a place and flour in between the layers liberally. All this extra flour will help to thicken the sauce.
  4. Add the dumplings to the boiling chicken broth one at a time until they have all been added. Let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.
  5. After the dumplings are done (they don't taste doughy) add the chicken and serve.

No comments: