April 15, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins



I'm always running into the problem of banana's getting too ripe on my counter.  If I only buy 3 or 4 they are gone so fast I think I'll buy more next time, then I buy more and they sit uneaten until I get panicky and go in search of a new banana recipe.

Welcome to my daughters newest favorite muffin, she loves these things. In fact she's even had one as part of her dinner.  I don't feel bad about giving her one because it does have healthy ingredients even though I know she's only eating them for the chocolate chips.

The muffins have a nice banana flavor without being too banana-y.  The chocolate chips are definitely the biggest flavor but that can easily be controlled either by how many you add or the type of chip you use.  I used semi-sweet chocolate chips but I think these would be excellent with any flavor chip or even toffee chips.

They stayed moist for several days in a zip lock bag, in fact my daughter had them all eaten before we noticed any changes in taste. 

 Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe from King Arthur Flour


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 medium or 1 1/2 large)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray or line a muffin tin. (I used one regular sized 12 cup muffin tin and 8 mini muffins)
  3. Mix the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
  4. Add the mashed banana, egg and vanilla and mix well.
  5. Add the milk and mix well.
  6. Add the remaining dry ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips.
  7. When the dry ingredients have been added and mixed well you can add in the chocolate chips.
  8. Use a cookie scoop or two Tablespoons to dollop the mix into the regular sized muffin cups, fill them full and mounded on top. Same with the mini muffin tins.
  9. Bake the regular sized muffins for between 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  10. For mini muffins cook for about 15-20 minutes.
  11. Let cool on a cooling rack slightly before serving.

No comments: