April 17, 2013

Roast Chicken

First of all I'd just like to say:


Boston is where my family lives and where my husband and I have lived on two separate occasions.  It's my favorite city.  I'll get off my soap box in a minute. My heart breaks for those that were affected.

Not really sure what to post about today, since I didn't make any Boston Baked Beans or Boston Cream Pie lately. So I decided on Chicken, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.


To softened butter you add lemon zest and rosemary, some salt and pepper.


Smear it all together with your fingers, or a spoon. :)


Slather the chicken with the butter, get every inch of the chicken plus under the skin and inside the cavity.


Roast for about an hour or a little longer depending on the size of your chicken.


Isn't it lovely and moist? The skin was nice and crispy and the lemon rosemary wasn't overpowering but was noticeable.


I will make this again for sure. I make roast chickens often but haven't ever tried this lemon rosemary combination.  I like it.  I like it a lot.


Roast Chicken
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 3 whole lemons
  • 4 springs fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste (or seasoning salt)
  • 3/4 cups butter, softened
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Line a roasting pan with tin foil
  3. rinse and pat dry the chicken.
  4. In a small bowl mix together the zest from the lemons, 1 sprig of rosemary leaves that have been chopped and the salt and pepper.
  5. cut the lemons in half and use your hands to rub the butter mixture all over the chicken, including inside the cavity and under the skin.
  6. Squeeze a little of the lemon juice into the cavity and put the halved lemon inside. Do this with all the lemons (if they'll fit).
  7. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

No comments: