This is what happens when the New Year rolls around and all of a sudden you realize you only have 12 months to lose all the weight you gained last year. Or maybe that's just me.
I've been attempting to get my family onto a healthier eating lifestyle which is not easy to do when I have a serious sugar addiction. I'd only been at it for about a month when I decided it was time for some cookies. I didn't want to completely derail our progress so I found this recipe which had everything I wanted in a "healthy" cookie.
Moist and chocolaty
I really liked these cookies and they are a much healthier option to the regular kind. They do have a different texture since they are whole grained and they are nice and sweet. I think you could even get away with lessening the amount of sugar added (if you wanted to). They do have more of a crumble then the "full fat" variety. I didn't find the crumble to be a problem especially when I was allowing myself a treat that wasn't too over the top.
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from Becky Bakes
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup agave
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (granulated)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 cups chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the oats until they turn into a fine powder.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, ground oats, baking powder and salt. Mix.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the butter, shortening, agave and both sugars and mix to combine.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until combined and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon fills onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-13 minutes or until the bottom edges are golden brown.
- Let cool on the cookie sheets for about 5 minutes and then move to cooling racks to cool completely.