April 6, 2013

Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies



This is what happens when the New Year rolls around and all of a sudden you realize you only have 12 months to lose all the weight you gained last year. Or maybe that's just me.

I've been attempting to get my family onto a healthier eating lifestyle which is not easy to do when I have a serious sugar addiction.  I'd only been at it for about a  month when I decided it was time for some cookies. I didn't want to completely derail our progress so I found this recipe which had everything I wanted in a "healthy" cookie.


Moist and chocolaty


I really liked these cookies and they are a much healthier option to the regular kind.  They do have a different texture since they are whole grained and they are nice and sweet.  I think you could even get away with lessening the amount of sugar added (if you wanted to). They do have more of a crumble then the "full fat" variety.  I didn't find the crumble to be a problem especially when I was allowing myself a treat that wasn't too over the top. 
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from Becky Bakes


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup agave
  • 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (granulated)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2-3 cups chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In a food processor, blend the oats until they turn into a fine powder.
  4. In a medium bowl add the flour, ground oats, baking powder and salt. Mix.
  5. In the bowl of your stand mixer add the butter, shortening, agave and both sugars and mix to combine.
  6. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
  7. Slowly add the flour mixture until combined and then stir in the chocolate chips.
  8. Drop by rounded tablespoon fills onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-13 minutes or until the bottom edges are golden brown.
  9. Let cool on the cookie sheets for about 5 minutes and then move to cooling racks to cool completely.

No comments: