April 29, 2013

Sloppy Joe's



This past week/weekend we were in Boston visiting our family.  The weather was great! Of course I came home to torrential downpours.  Hopefully the nice weather will be back soon but I can't complain since everything is so green and healthy looking right now.

Before we hopped off to Boston I made this sloppy joe recipe from The Pioneer Woman and I loved it! It's much like the kind I remember from a can only better. I left out a couple of the ingredients that Ree puts in her recipe simply because I either didn't have them or I knew my daughter wouldn't try it if they were in there. Either way, it was awesome.  My version is below but the link will bring you to The Pioneer Woman's recipe. 

Sloppy Joe's
Recipe modified from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground turkey (or ground beef)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 a large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • Worcestershire sauce to taste
  • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large skillet, add the ground turkey and cook over medium until the turkey is browned. If you're using beef, drain any fat at this point.
  2. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook just until it is beginning to get tender.
  3. Add all of the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes to meld the flavors.
  4. Serve with toasted rolls or whatever you have. This would also be delicious served over a bed of lettuce!

No comments: