June 14, 2013

Chicken and Wild Rice



How is your summer going? Getting nice and tan and loving all these bathing suit pictures that keep surfacing? Me either.

Well Father's Day is this Sunday, have you figured out how you're going to celebrate it? Here's a suggestion, one of my husbands favorites is chicken and rice.  The nice thing about this version is it's done in your crock pot so there's no pressure immediately before you sit down to eat.

And don't you think it's too hot to hang out over your stove? I do.


After my husband tasted this he immediately wanted it on record as one of his favorites and made me promise to make it again.

Like I have some sort of habit about making things once and then never making them the same way again....OK that part is true but jeez, that's why I HAVE a blog!  So I can remember what the heck I did.

Anyway, You can certainly omit the mushrooms if you're not a fan of them but we LOVE them and leaving them in nice big slices is the way to go here. The rice was nice and creamy and perfectly cooked and the flavors blended perfectly.  I'm going to have to look around for the chicken broth that has roasted garlic because I do think that would be lovely in this recipe.

Definitely a keeper.

Chicken and Wild Rice
Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook


Ingredients
  • 2 pounds (about 4) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 2 (6 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic (I just used regular chicken broth)
  • 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts (optional)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp butter
Cooking Directions
  1. Brown the chicken in a large pan with some oil, then remove and cut into 1 inch pieces.
  2. in the same pan used for the chicken, add the onion, celery and garlic and cook until tender.
  3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a 5 quart slow cooker and then stir in the chicken and veggies.
  4. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.

No comments: