August 9, 2013

Apple Crunch Pie and a Pie Plate!


See my Montana purchase?  I usually get jewelry at my favorite gift shop but this time I opted for this pie plate.  Isn't it beautiful? There were several different color combinations to choose from but this one just spoke to me. It's a nice deep dish pie plate, which I didn't have yet.

The gift shop I love is called Montana Gift Cabin and I'm sure they'd love to send you one if you wanted one. I didn't see an actual web page but they do have a Facebook page.

I also found a web page for the artist with more of their products, which I pretty much want one of each of these. Clay in Motion website.


Not only do you get the pie plate, you also get this Apple Crunch Pie recipe imprinted on the back. 


So I made it.


And it's Deeee-licious!


If you're thinking this might be like a usual apple pie, think again.  The apples are cooked down to applesauce consistency, not matter how big you slice the apples. I wasn't sure how I'd like that texture but it really works with the sweet crunch topping.

Since the recipe didn't specify a couple of things (like which type of apple) I just winged it.  But I loved the results!


Apple Crunch Pie
Recipe by Corina Neher


Ingredients

Filling
  • 6 cups apples (I used granny smith) sliced and peeled
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 homemade or store bought crust
Topping
  • 1 cup oatmeal (I used Old Fashioned)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg (I used 1/2 tsp)
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375º
  2. Place the crust in the pie plate. 
  3. In a large microwave safe bowl, mix the apples, sugar, flour, water and lemon juice. Stir until coated. 
  4. Microwave for 7 minutes, covered. 
  5. Pour the filling into the crust lined pie plate. 
  6. In a small bowl combine the oatmeal, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.  I used my hands to fully incorporate all of the ingredients together. 
  7. Top the filling evenly with the crumb topping and bake for 35-40 minutes. 

No comments: