August 16, 2013

Chocolate Chip Pie



A funny thing happened to me while I was making this pie.  My oven stopped working.  Turned out to be a quick fix once my husband got home but unfortunately I couldn't wait that long to bake it. I had to text my neighbor and promise her half this pie if she'd let me bake it in her oven.  I mean, she was going to get half the pie anyway because I can't have all this temptation alone with me in my house.  I just can't be trusted with things like this.  She graciously allowed me to come over and smell her house up with yummy chocolate chip cookie smells.  Wasn't that nice of me? 

I wonder though, if my chocolate chips sunk to the bottom of the pie because it sat on my counter for about 20 minutes while I frantically tried to figure out what was wrong with my oven.  I guess I'll just have to make it again to be sure.  If you're worried about chip sinkage, you can always coat your chocolate chips with a little flour before putting them in the filling.  When I make this again, and I will, I will do that and post some nicer pictures. 


Also, I should note that I used a deep dish pie dish, you know the one I got while I was in Montana.  But this recipe doesn't really need a deep dish pie dish, just a regular one will work just fine. 


Lovely golden brown color on top after 40 minutes.


I let it cool completely before cutting.  I also refrigerated mine even though I'm not really sure you'd have to.  My husband likes his desserts cold, he even puts candy bars in the freezer.

If you're a lover of soft chocolate chip cookies then you'll love this.  I only got two tiny little bites between my husband and my daughter.  The filling stays very soft, much like a cream type pie in some ways. The top has a slight crunch to it and the chocolate chips add the texture.  You can't go wrong with this one.

Chocolate Chip Pie
Recipe from About.com


Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 pie crust, unbaked
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the sugar and flour. 
  3. Add the eggs and melted butter, mix well. 
  4. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla and mix well. (try tossing your chips in flour first so they don't sink to the bottom)
  5. Pour into a pie plate lined with an unbaked crust.  Bake for 40-45 minutes. 

No comments: