August 14, 2013

Baked Kale Chips



 Seems Kale has been pretty popular these days, it makes an appearance in most green smoothies and people are definitely trying to find a place for it in their everyday meals. I've discovered that in a smoothie I can't even taste it, but it does give it it's green color.  I put it in several of my soups last winter.  This year I wanted to try the Kale Chip that I've been hearing so much about.

I was surprised at how crispy they got, I can see how people really can substitute these for some other veggie crisps.  I did enjoy them although could only eat a small amount because I'm not familiar with eating kale routinely and there's no avoiding the flavor here. The crispy edges added a nice nuttiness to the flavor that I enjoyed.  They don't really keep very well, they sort of lost their crispiness overnight so I'd just make as much as you think you can eat that same day.

Very glad I tried these, I can see how they can fix up an craving for a crunchy salty snack when you're trying to avoid potato chips.  Very good alternative.


Baked Kale Chips
Recipe from AllRecipes

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch Kale
  • olive oil
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Line a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper or tin foil. 
  3. Cut the kale into bite sized pieces, removing the thick stem.  Wash and dry thoroughly. 
  4. Spread the kale into a single layer and drizzle oil over the top until they all have a little oil on them.  I used my hands to try to get the oil spread evenly on each piece. 
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, be careful to check frequently to ensure the ends of the kale aren't getting burnt.  
  6. Salt immediately after removing from the oven if you desire. 

No comments: